This may seem a little highbrow for Homemade Cravings, but with Valentine’s Day upon us I thought I’d share one of my most favorite meals, my version of Beef Wellington. Not to be confused with the original Beef Wellington which includes things like pâté and duxelles (minced mushrooms and shallot mixture). Emeril has a simple version of the classic Beef Wellington if you are into that kind of fancy. I like to keep it simple, pan seared filet mignon and a thick slice of blue cheese wrapped in puffed pastry and baked to golden perfection. The filet needs to be thick ( 1 1/2 inches at least) to come out medium or medium rare and its so rich and filling you only need a vegetable or green salad on the side.
If your Loved One adores filet mignon, then serve up this impressive meal on Valentine’s day (after you’ve served any kids you may have something fun like mini hot dogs and fried mozzarella balls and sent them to bed).
They will love you eternally for it.
Individual Beef Wellington
- 2 – 1 1/2 Inch Thick Filet Mignon Pieces
- 2 T Canola Oil
- 1 Sheet Puff Pastry, Defrosted
- 4 Oz Blue Cheese, cut into two slices
- 1 Egg, beaten with 1-2 T water
- Salt & Pepper
- Bring the filet to room temperature and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a skillet over high heat. Add filets and sear until browned on both sides, 1 minute each side. Set aside to cool.
- Heat oven to 425.
- Roll out the puff pastry on a well floured surface into a 12×12 square and cut in half. Place a 2 oz slice of blue cheese in the middle of each pastry and top with the cooled beef. Wrap the beef up tightly, wetting your hands to seal the pouch.
- Place sealed side down on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Brush the top of each pouch with the egg wash.
- Bake 20 minutes, insert an instant read thermometer to see that the beef has reached 135-140 for Medium. The crust should be golden brown.
- Let cool for 10 minutes.
Inspired By Emeril Lagasse Individual Beef Wellingtons from The Food Network
Copyright: HomemadeCravings.com 2012